Liberty Baptist Church was organized about 1843 and located on the site where the New Hope Baptist Church now stands. In 1873, the church majority decided to build a new church on the Lucy Cook Field, the location of the church today. Lucy Cook was the widow of Allen Cook.
The present Liberty Baptist Church built in 1939,and remodeled in 1966, is locatedoff SR1001 on Trails End Road. In 1806, a 200
acre tract was deeded from Allen Cook to James Marlow. Ownership of this land later passed to Harold Hayes, who donated 2
acres to the church in 1904.
The Marlow, Cook, Williams, Hayes & Moore families were members of this church. All of these families are an integral part of the Marlow family history.
Most of this land at one time belonged to the Marlow family before being acquired by Harold Hayes. His homeplace is located at intersection of Trails End Rd & SR1001, across the road and at the bottom of the church driveway. The old house is not visible in the above photo (July 2002) due to dense tree foilage, brush and weeds.
Photos below (March 2003) show the old homeplace.
| Home | Photos |