25 Nov 1908 - Wilburn Jonah Ball, E W Ball, Kezie Ball, Wm Bynum Marlow, & wife Ellen grant a tract of land to The Church of Latter Day Saints. These families all lived nearby and were members of the church.
The first Latter Day Saint Chapel was built, near Jonah Ball's mill, just off Ball Mill Rd. In recent years, this part of Ball Mill Rd has been renamed Cherry Grove Rd. The Chapel was built by the Ball, Marlow and Nance famlies. It was a 30x40 frame building, constructed from timber that was cut at the nearby Ball sawmill. On 19 July 1907 a Sunday school was started in Gilreath and the Chapel was dedicated 25 July 1909.
In 1950, a new brick Mormon Church was built on Ball Mill Rd and the old Chapel was abandoned. Sometime later, Daniel Wesley Marlow disassembled the old church, took it his property, reassembled it and there it stands today. It was used as a storage building and still owned by MARLOW descendants in 2004. By 2008 the property is no longer owned by MARLOW family.
| Home | Photos |